Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Depressed Dog

It's true. My dog is depressed.

My first-born--a fluffy white Pekingese named Pagoda--went from being the baby of the family to an annoyed older sibling. Before we had kids, every poo or pee was rewarded with a treat, everytime he did something cute it was cause for a major celebration, and he received up to two walks daily.

Pagoda even had his own repertoire of songs. (Well, songs I would sing to him.) They included "Pagoda-licious" (sung to the tune of Fergie-licious) and "Pekingese," (song in the tune of Edelweiss). I've even included the lyrics to "Pekingese" below, for your reading pleasure.

Pekingese, Pekingese
Every morning you greet me
Small and white, clean and bright
You look happy to meet me
Blossom of fluff may you wag and ruff, wag and ruff forever!
Pekingese, Pekingese. Bless Pagoda forever!

When Marley came along, I was so careful to be patient with Pagoda. I made sure he still felt like an important part of the family. He got all his walks (well, almost) and still got plenty of snuggle time with me.

Now that there's two kids...well, I can barely find time to shower, much less brush the dog. And the last time he got walked...let's just say that day started with an "s."

I'm a terrible dog mother. And I'm paying for it. Pagoda has been acting out...pooping in Baby Holland's bedroom and moping around the house. I feel awful. I love him so much!

When I watch those terrible abused animal commercials--you know, the ones with Sarah McLaughlin singing "Arms of the Angels," that got me to send in $19.95 a month to the animals-- I run for Pagoda and snatch him into my lap and smother him with kisses. Does he also feel neglected and unwanted? Oh, the humanity!

I pray that Pagoda understands. I hope that things will chill out a bit and I will make time to walk him more regularly and make him feel important again.

Pagoda, I love you...you're my boy!!! (Even if you just pooped in my closet.)

Any other depressed pets out there?

2 comments:

  1. My husband used to have a Pitbull who he has devoted most of his time. But when he got married, he barely finds time to play with her. Roxy (dog's name) got really sad. She wasn't the same active, playful and happy dog that she's been. Until such a time when she refuses to eat. And too bad for us, we lost her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh...wow. Geez, so sorry to hear that. That's terrible. I pledge from this day forward to give Pagoda more walks and sing to him at least once a day!

    ReplyDelete